Free Consultation: 800-937-8443

Free Consultation: 800-937-8443

Police officers put their lives on the line every day for the people in their community. Most of the time, this risk isn’t dodging bullets or tackling suspects but just being out in traffic trying to keep motorists safe so they can get to work and home without injury.

Sometimes this means getting involved in a high-speed chase which also comes with the possibility of a serious accident. If this happens, what recourse does the officer have?

High-Speed Chase Ends in Injury for Officer in Radcliff

Police engaged in a chase that started in Shepherdsville and reached speeds of over 100 mph and ended in Radcliff with the suspect and a Shepherdsville officer being transported to a local hospital with injuries. The driver of a Ford F-150 pickup and his passenger were wanted on warrants and were spotted by the officer in Shepherdsville, and the case began.

State troopers and deputies tried to lay out spike strips, but it didn’t work and the pursuit continued until the pickup crossed a median on US-31 southbound into the northbound lane striking two Shepherdsville cruisers.

Officers and Compensation

When an officer or other state or city emergency response personnel is injured in the line of duty, by law, they are prohibited from suing the state for injuries and losses. However, in some circumstances, they might be able to get compensation from the person who injured them.

In a high-speed chase, the officer is doing their duty to try to keep the city safe, and the driver of the vehicle is breaking several laws by running from police. This doesn’t automatically mean that the officer can get compensation from the driver, but it is possible.

Third-Party Liability

The law allows the officer to seek compensation from someone other than their employer for causing them injury if he or she can prove negligence by the driver. Then if the driver has insurance, the officer can seek compensation for injuries sustained in the crash.

Since the officer will get some benefits from worker’s compensation, then under Kentucky law, some or all of the benefits might have to be paid back giving the officer at least some additional compensation. Most cases settle out of court, and a good attorney will work with all parties so that the settlement will be fair to all.

What to do If you’re Injured in a High-Speed Chase?

Police officers and other emergency personnel who are injured because of someone else’s negligence while on the job, should speak to an attorney before just assuming they can’t get any compensation from an injury at work.

There are some circumstances where no additional benefits or compensation is available, but there are also many times that additional funds are available. Talk to a professional who knows the law and can give you honest advice with your best interests in mind.

Contact a Personal Injury Attorney Today

Accident victims often wonder if they need an attorney, and the answer is almost always yes. The insurance company agents have years of experience and are good at their job which is to pay you as little as possible or nothing at all. You need someone just as experienced to help you level the field.

Talk to a Louisville Personal Injury Attorney you can trust to be on your side and get you what is yours under the law. The attorneys at Kaufman &  Stigger, PLLC, have that knowledge and a combined 100 years’ experience in helping clients get the results they deserve. To discuss your case, contact Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC today, by clicking here to contact them online.