If you’re a motorcycle rider in Kentucky, you know how exciting and exhilarating it can be to hit the open road. However, you also know that motorcycle accidents can happen in the blink of an eye, and they can lead to some serious injuries, especially bone fractures.
One of the most common injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents is facial bone fractures, and they can cause a lot of pain and discomfort.
Dedicated Support From Kentucky Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
After suffering a facial bone fracture in a Kentucky motorcycle accident, it’s crucial to have a support system to help navigate through this challenging time. With the right treatment and support, you can make a full recovery and get back to the activities you enjoy. Part of this support system should include experienced, dedicated Kentucky motorcycle accident lawyers.
At Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC, we can provide this support. Our lawyers have years of experience in handling motorcycle accident claims for clients throughout Kentucky, and can give you the legal support and dedication you need to get back to full strength. To learn more about how we can help you, contact us for a free consultation.
Types of Facial Bone Fractures in Kentucky Motorcycle Accidents
The human face has a number of different bones, each of which provides vital support for basic functions like eating, speaking, breathing, and seeing. Facial bone fractures can be incredibly challenging for motorcycle riders who have suffered them. Beyond the physical pain and discomfort, fractures can create a range of difficulties. Not only that but there are a number of different types of facial bone fractures that victims have to potentially deal with. These can include:
- Nasal fractures – This type of fracture involves the bones that make up the nose. Nasal fractures can cause pain, swelling, and difficulty breathing.
- Orbital fractures – These are fractures of the bones surrounding the eye. Orbital fractures can cause swelling, bruising, and double vision.
- Maxillary fractures – These are fractures of the upper jaw bone. Maxillary fractures can cause pain, difficulty opening the mouth, and changes in the way the teeth fit together.
- Mandibular fractures – These are fractures of the lower jaw bone. Mandibular fractures can cause pain, difficulty opening the mouth, and changes in the way the teeth fit together.
Depending on the severity and location of the fracture, you may have trouble eating, speaking, or even breathing normally. The recovery process can be time-consuming and require multiple surgeries, which can add to the stress and financial burden. These injuries can also have a significant impact on your self-esteem and mental health.
Common Causes of Kentucky Motorcycle Accidents That Lead to Facial Bone Fractures
Unfortunately, the causes that frequently lead to motorcycle accidents are ever-present in Kentucky. There are a variety of different factors that lead to Kentucky motorcycle accidents, all of which can lead to facial bone fractures and other serious injuries. The relative lack of protection and high speeds that comes with riding a motorcycle is among the biggest factors in these injuries, but it’s helpful to look at some of the more common causes of motorcycle accidents that can lead to facial bone fractures:
- Speeding – Motorcyclists who speed are more likely to lose control of their bikes and collide with other vehicles or objects, which can result in facial bone fractures.
- Distracted driving – When a person is distracted while driving, such as by texting or using a cell phone, they may not see a motorcycle and cause an accident that leads to facial bone fractures.
- Impaired driving – Drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs may have impaired judgment and reaction time, which can lead to motorcycle accidents and facial bone fractures.
- Failure to yield – Drivers who fail to yield the right-of-way to motorcycles can cause collisions that result in facial bone fractures.
- Poor road conditions – Poorly maintained roads, debris on the road, or uneven pavement can cause motorcycle accidents that lead to facial bone fractures.
Reducing Your Chances of a Kentucky Motorcycle Accident
As a Kentucky motorcycle rider, it’s important to be aware of these common causes of motorcycle accidents and take steps to protect yourself on the road. While you can never totally prevent an accident, there are ways you can reduce their likelihood.
- Wear appropriate safety gear – Wearing a helmet, gloves, boots, and protective clothing can help reduce the risk of injury in the event of an accident. A helmet will significantly decrease the likelihood of a facial fracture since it is designed to protect your head and face.
- Be visible – Make sure your motorcycle has reflective materials, and use your headlights and turn signals to make yourself visible to other motorists. Further, you can wear high-visibility clothing for even more protection.
- Follow traffic rules – Obeying traffic laws and avoiding reckless behavior is even more important on a motorcycle, as you have much less protection from accidents.
- Stay alert – Always be aware of your surroundings, and anticipate potential hazards on the road.
- Avoid distractions – Just like driving any other vehicle, don’t use your phone or engage in other distracting activities while riding.
- Get proper training – Take a motorcycle safety course to learn how to handle your bike safely and effectively. Kentucky actually requires riders to obtain a Class M motorcycle license, which requires passing a course and skills test.
By following these tips, you can reduce your risk of being in a motorcycle accident and increase your chances of staying safe on the road. That said, should you find yourself in a motorcycle accident that was caused by another driver, you’ll need to pursue options to recover damages.
Recovery Options For Kentucky Motorcycle Accident Victims
Any bone fracture brings with it extensive medical treatment and costs, but a facial bone fracture is unique in that it involves a vulnerable area of the body that affects a number of different important functions. Losing your ability to speak, eat, and see, or having difficulty breathing severely impacts your quality of life. On top of that, facial bone fractures and injuries have a high rate of disfigurement that usually requires reconstructive surgery, which brings its own set of challenges and changes.
Fortunately, Kentucky law allows you to recover some portion of compensation for these damages from the person (or entity) at fault for causing the motorcycle accident that harmed you. Generally, you can do this by filing a claim, either via insurance or through a civil lawsuit.
Once you report the accident, you will then seek medical attention and be provided with a treatment plan. From there, filing an insurance claim against the at-fault driver will initiate the claims process. There’s no requirement in Kentucky that says you need to have a lawyer represent you in this process, but it can be extremely helpful in protecting your rights and getting a fair result. Once it’s initiated, the claims process in Kentucky includes the following steps:
- Investigation – The insurance company will investigate the accident to determine who was at fault, and will then take any evidence and put together an estimate of damages before making a settlement offer.
- Negotiation – If the other party was at fault, our team can negotiate with the other party’s insurance company to try to reach a settlement. If a settlement cannot be reached, we can move forward with filing a lawsuit in civil court.
- Settlement or judgment – If a settlement is reached, you will receive compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and other damages. If the case goes to court, a judge or jury will decide the amount of compensation you are entitled to.
- Disbursement – Once a settlement or judgment is reached, you will receive your compensation. We will deduct our fees and expenses from the settlement or judgment before disbursing the remaining amount to you.
Again, even though it’s not required, working with our team of experienced Kentucky motorcycle accident lawyers can provide vital support as you navigate this process. Suffering injuries as serious as facial bone fractures likely mean you’re facing huge medical bills and other damage that you’ll need compensation for. With our team’s support, you can rest assured that you’ll receive a fair settlement.
Contact Our Dedicated Kentucky Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Today
When you’ve been injured in a Kentucky motorcycle accident, you don’t need to wait around to get the help you need. While you focus on your physical recovery from a facial bone fracture, our team of dedicated Kentucky motorcycle accident lawyers can provide you with the legal support you need to recover financially.
At Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC, we believe that every Kentucky motorcycle accident victim deserves to be supported through this incredibly difficult time. To get started with a free consultation, contact us today.