When you’re on a Transit Authority of River City (TARC) bus, you might assume that you’re safe in the event of an accident. After all, buses are designed to both carry and protect passengers in a collision. However, riding a bus is not completely risk-free. Bus accidents in Louisville can still happen due to factors like rollovers, uneven weight distribution, or defective parts. So, it’s important to be aware that there are risks involved even when riding a bus.
Vehicle Causes TARC Bus to Crash into Empty Barbershop Leaving Driver and Passengers Injured
A TARC bus crashed into an empty barbershop at the intersection of Market Street and 22nd Street in Louisville in the early morning hours of Sunday, July 2, 2023. According to a story from WLKY, authorities believe the driver of the car ran a red light and collided with the TARC bus, sending it careening into the empty barbershop. The bus also knocked over a utility pole, knocking out power for nearly 2,600 customers.
While no one inside the barbershop or building was injured, the driver of the TARC bus and one passenger were taken to a local hospital and treated for minor injuries. One other passenger on the bus refused medical treatment.
Understanding Bus Accidents in Louisville
Driving a bus with passengers is already a challenging task, especially considering the busy roads, sudden bad weather, and the large size of the vehicle. Couple that with instances like the one above, when other drivers fail to drive in a safe or legal manner, and you have a recipe for accidents. All of these factors combine to increase the likelihood of accidents occurring in Louisville and throughout Kentucky. While accidents like the one above are fairly common, it’s helpful to take a closer look at some of the other causes of bus accidents:
- Crowded locations – Busy areas with heavy traffic can make it difficult for bus drivers to maneuver safely.
- Fatigued driving – Bus drivers may become tired due to long hours behind the wheel, leading to reduced focus and reaction time.
- Distracted driving – Distractions like using electronic devices or engaging in other activities while driving can divert the driver’s attention from the road.
- Aggressive driving – Reckless behaviors such as speeding, tailgating, or sudden lane changes can contribute to bus accidents.
- Unqualified drivers – If a driver lacks proper training, experience, or qualifications to operate a bus, it increases the chances of accidents occurring.
- Poor maintenance or defective equipment – Neglected maintenance or faulty equipment can compromise the safety and performance of the bus.
- Structure of the vehicle – The size and design of buses may pose challenges in terms of visibility, turning radius, and stability.
- Poorly maintained roads – Road conditions, such as potholes or inadequate signage, can contribute to accidents involving buses.
Kaufman & Stigger Can Help You and Your Loved Ones After a Louisville Bus Accident
Obviously, bus accidents can have serious consequences for you and your family. If you or a loved one has been involved in a bus accident, it’s crucial to seek guidance from our dedicated and experienced team of Louisville bus accident lawyers at Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC. We are here to help you understand your legal rights, pursue compensation for your injuries and losses, and ensure that those responsible are held accountable.
Time is of the essence when dealing with a bus accident, so you shouldn’t hesitate to seek legal assistance. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation without any obligation. We will fight for your rights, seeking justice and the compensation you rightfully deserve.