Riding a motorcycle offers many exciting and thrilling experiences, especially in Kentucky. With its diverse terrain, ranging from rolling hills to lush forests and winding rivers, the Bluegrass State provides a variety of routes for riders to explore. But riding a motorcycle also comes with some risks, the most significant of which are accidents and injuries.
Monticello Police Officer in Critical Condition Following Motorcycle Accident
A Monticello police officer was critically injured after being thrown from his motorcycle in a collision that occurred on the afternoon of April 13, 2023. According to a report from LEX 18, Officer Jeramy Thompson was leaving a training class in London, traveling west on Hal Rogers Parkway on his motorcycle when a Nissan SUV turned into his path.
The resulting collision threw Thompson off his motorcycle and caused critical injuries. Thompson was flown to the University of Kentucky Medical Center, where he has since undergone two major surgeries. He is currently in critical but stable condition.
Understanding the Dangers of Motorcycle Accidents in Kentucky
Motorcycle accidents can be particularly dangerous for riders in Kentucky due to a number of factors. These factors make you extremely vulnerable to accidents and usually include:
- Lack of protection – Unlike drivers in cars, motorcyclists have little to no protection from impact during an accident. They are more likely to be thrown off their bike and suffer serious injuries.
- Limited stability – Motorcycles have only two wheels, which makes them less stable than four-wheeled vehicles. This can lead to accidents caused by loss of control or instability on rough or uneven road surfaces.
- Reduced visibility – Motorcycles are often difficult for other drivers to see, especially at night or in bad weather conditions. This increases the risk of accidents caused by drivers not seeing the motorcycle and colliding with it.
- Higher risk-taking behavior – Because of the thrill associated with them, many motorcyclists are more likely to engage in risky behavior on the road, such as speeding and lane splitting, which increases their risk of being involved in an accident.
- Lack of experience – Inexperienced riders are more likely to be involved in accidents due to their lack of experience and ability to handle unexpected situations on the road.
- Weather conditions – Kentucky’s climate includes a number of different inclement conditions such as rain, snow, and strong winds can make riding a motorcycle more dangerous, as they can reduce visibility and increase the risk of skidding or losing control of the bike.
Being in a motorcycle accident isn’t only dangerous, it’s also likely to result in serious injuries. When that happens, you’ll need to understand what your legal options are to try to recover from the damage.
Experienced Kentucky Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
When you or a loved one are injured in a Kentucky motorcycle accident, you have certain options under the law. However, in order to recover damages, you’ll need the help of experienced Kentucky motorcycle accident lawyers.
At Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC, we have the experience and knowledge necessary to help. Through our experience, we have helped numerous clients throughout Kentucky recover damages from the at-fault party. These damages can include:
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Wrongful death, in the event the accident was fatal
Don’t wait to get the help you need if you’ve been in a motorcycle accident. Contact us today to set up a free consultation to let us start working for you.