Start in central Louisville and go any direction and you will find a sprawling Meijers Supermarket ready to serve you. At least six locations circle the city. The grocery chain offers a lot more than just groceries. You can fill up your car with gas, get a prescription filled, deposit a check and some locations even feature full department stores.
There’s a lot of space to find what’s on your list, but there’s also more opportunity for employees to neglect their duties and ignore a hazard that could land you in a painful accident. A water puddle on the floor or a misplaced store display could send you into a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident and leave you with a painful mobility issue.
Help for Meijer’s Slip-And-Fall Victims in Kentucky
If you are injured due to the negligence of a Meijer store owner, manager, or employee you may wonder if you’ll have to pay for the expenses of your recovery after an accident that wasn’t your fault.
Meijer may not be happy to provide you with compensation and they may even try to blame you for your accident. That’s why it’s always best to have a local attorney looking out for your interests as you fight to just get bills paid and try to get back on your feet again. Contact a slip-and-fall lawyer with Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC, and tell us exactly what happened. We will provide you with a free evaluation of all of your options and then help you decide on your next move.
Slip-And-Fall Hazards at Louisville Meijer Locations
It’s a property owner’s and business owner’s legal obligation to provide a safe visit to every visitor who shows up to their store. This means fixing any obstacles that appear in the parking lot, along the aisles, and in the bathrooms. Proprietors must also make sure any spill made by a customer or water left by a produce worker is cleaned up in a reasonable amount of time.
Proprietors can claim they didn’t know about a hazard in their store, but you can always argue that they should have employees regularly inspecting the floors and the parking lot for problems. A busy day at the grocery store can have customers leaving just about anything on the tile and on the sidewalks outside.
The legal concept of “premises liability” means if you are hurt by anything that should have been repaired or removed by a proprietor, they can be held liable for every cost of medical care you need today and in the future.
Slip-And-Fall Common Injuries
The stakes are high in these types of cases because the injuries you can receive can rob you of so many things. You could lose your mobility for months or years after a slip-and-fall. You can face a permanent disability and need physical care and specialized equipment for the rest of your life.
Here are just a few of the most severe injuries slip-and-fall victims can experience:
- Brain Injuries – In a fall your head can strike the floor, the pavement, or a shelf causing immediate symptoms and lifelong consequences. Traumatic brain injuries can cause blurry vision, clumsiness, and confusion. Brain damage may require surgery and can even leave you dependent on medical care for the rest of your life.
- Spinal Cord Damage – A loss of control for parts of the body. Losing the ability to control all four of your limbs is possible.
- Fractures and Dislocations — Hip fractures and broken bones in the arms and neck are common and can lead to a loss of mobility and the ability to complete everyday functions.
Trip-and-fall accidents can have similar results for patients, but some other injuries are common because the victim is often sent forward when he or she trips. These are a few of the hazards:
- Arm Injuries – Victims try to catch themselves as they lunge forward, putting incredible stress on hands, wrists, and elbows. A hand injury may put you out of work for a considerable amount of time.
- Damage to the Face – If you can’t catch yourself, you may take a blow to the face. The nose and jaw are especially at risk. Teeth can also be damaged or knocked out in a trip-and-fall.
Contact a Louisville Slip-And-Fall Lawyer
These accidents can lead to severe injuries and require months or years of medical care. When dealing with a national grocery chain like Meijer you shouldn’t trust that you will receive everything you’ll need to pay for your recovery. They will have lawyers working to dismiss your case or get you to accept only a small amount of compensation. Fight back with an attorney of your own ready to demand what’s fair for you.
The slip-and-fall attorneys at Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC have a combined 100 years’ experience in helping clients get the compensation they need to fully recover. To discuss your case contact Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC today.