The City of Louisville has banned cyclists from riding on sidewalks in the downtown retail region of Louisville, and in the rest of the city, cyclists can ride on sidewalks, but with some restrictions.
Kentucky state bicycle law allows bikes to ride on sidewalks across the state, however, it does allow local cities to ban riding on the sidewalk. It also says that wherever riding on the sidewalk is allowed, then a cyclist is to be treated as a pedestrian for purposes of traffic laws and rights-of-way.
The City of Louisville passed regulations governing bicycle use in the city. Put together with the states rules on sidewalk use, the following are rules for riding on sidewalks in Louisville:
- No one 11 and older can ride on any sidewalk in the city.
- No one can ride on the sidewalks in the retail zones of the city regardless of age.
- Rider must slow to the speed of pedestrians if present.
- Do not suddenly leave a sidewalk or crosswalk in the path of another vehicle.
- Must yield to pedestrians using sidewalk or crosswalk.
- Must obey traffic signals that apply to pedestrians especially at crosswalks.
- Must yield to motor vehicles if crossing street at point other than a crosswalk or at an intersection.
These rules are for the safety of the cyclist as they travel throughout the city. A cyclist is allowed to ride in the street or in a bike lane that is also in the street, and when doing so, must obey all traffic laws to keep safe.
Even then accidents happen, and cyclists are often injured due to the fault of a motorist. When this happens, the cyclist should speak to an attorney about their rights under the law. In Kentucky, an injured cyclist is allowed to collect compensation from the at-fault driver of a car.
Contact a Louisville Bicycle Attorney
When a cyclist is injured by a motor vehicle, the victim should talk to a Louisville Bicycle Attorney. The insurance company agents have years of experience and are good at their job which is to pay you as little as possible or nothing at all. You need someone just as experienced to help you level the field. Talk to someone you can trust to be on your side and get you what is yours under the law.
The attorneys at Kaufman and Stigger, PLLC, have that knowledge and a combined 100 years’ experience in helping clients get the results they deserve. To discuss your case, call Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC today.