You have to be extremely careful when you’re riding a motorcycle in Kentucky. Likewise, when riding or driving a sports car, which is meant to go at high speeds, it can sometimes lead to serious accidents.
A Russellville man was killed on Wednesday, January 31, 2024. According to a story from WKRN, the Russellville Police Department (RPD) responded to a call for a two-vehicle crash on Nashville Road. When they arrived, they found an accident between a Chevrolet Camaro and a Harley Davidson motorcycle.
After an initial investigation, the RPD determined that the motorcycle collided with the Camaro as it was trying to turn left into a parking lot. The rider of the motorcycle was pronounced dead at the scene, and it was unknown if the driver of the Camaro was injured or would be charged.
What Types of Motorcycle Accidents are Common in Russellville?
As the above accident shows, the outcomes of a motorcycle accident frequently results in serious, even fatal injuries for the person on the motorcycle. This is true across the many different types of motorcycle accidents that can happen in Russellville–and throughout Kentucky.
In the case of the above story, it is an example of a “left-turn” accident. While this is one of the most common, there’s a number of other types of motorcycle accidents that you’ll find under the circumstances:
- Rear-end accidents – These happen If a motorcycle is waiting at a stop or slow-moving, and another vehicle behind it doesn’t stop in time, hitting the motorcycle from the back.
- Dooring accidents – When someone in a parked car opens their door without checking and accidentally hits a passing motorcycle.
- Speeding accidents – Driving a car or riding a motorcycle too fast for the road conditions, making it harder to control and increasing the chances of an accident.
- Right hook accidents – Imagine a motorcycle going straight, and a vehicle making a right turn suddenly cuts in front of it, creating serious accidents.
- No-contact accidents – Even if there’s no direct collision, a motorcycle rider may need to swerve or react quickly to avoid getting into an accident because of another vehicle’s sudden move. This is also common when there’s a pothole or some other road defect.
What Should You Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
In case of a motorcycle accident in Russellville or anywhere else in Kentucky, it’s important to take certain steps to protect your health and legal rights:
- Seek medical care right away.
- Report the accident to authorities.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with others involved
- Document the scene by collecting evidence like pictures and videos. You’ll also want to preserve this evidence.
- Report the accident to your insurance company and be careful with statements.
Remember, these steps may vary based on the specifics of the incident. Another important step is to reach out to our team of experienced Russellville personal injury lawyers at Kaufman & Stigger. We can guide you through the legal process and generally support you as you try to recover.
Our team can help you file a claim for damages, potentially allowing you to recover damages from the person or party responsible, including
- Previous and upcoming medical expenses
- Earnings lost in the past and potential future losses
- Permanent disability, if any
- Permanent disfigurement, if any
- Enduring pain and emotional distress
- Reduction of your ability to lead a normal life
Contact us today to set up a free consultation to get started.