When you’re walking around Louisville at night, you have to be aware of your surroundings. This is true at any time, but especially in these cases, where visibility is low or drivers struggle to pay attention. Unfortunately, there’s often the chance that these conditions lead to accidents.
A 42-year-old man was killed on Tuesday night, February 6, 2024 when he was struck by a vehicle in Louisville, per a story from the Louisville Courier Journal. According to reports from Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) and the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office, there was a call regarding a collision between a pedestrian and vehicle along Newburg Road at 10:47 p..m. Police arrived on the scene and found a man lying in the roadway, where he was pronounced dead. LMPD says that the man was hit while he was trying to cross the street in a “dimly lit area.” The driver of the vehicle stayed at the scene and cooperated with the investigation.
Facing Pedestrian Accidents in Louisville
One of the most difficult things about pedestrian accidents is that you, as a pedestrian, have virtually no control over what a driver does. This is despite steps you can take to avoid these accidents, like wearing bright clothing and drawing attention to yourself as you use a crosswalk.
As the accident above shows, the result of these accidents are serious injuries and even death. But it’s important to look at some of the underlying causes and what your options are:
- Low visibility – Probably the most common reason for these accidents is that they happen in low light conditions, especially at night or in poor weather. This, obviously, makes the pedestrian difficult to see and can cause drivers to crash into them.
- Distractions – Drivers are frequently distracted by things like their phone, eating, passengers, or any other number of things that take their focus off the road. This, in turn, leads to collisions with pedestrians when the driver can’t react in time.
- Reckless driving – When drivers are speeding or trying to catch traffic lights, it can cause them to run over pedestrians who are trying to use a crosswalk or get from one side of the street to another. Unfortunately, the faster the car is going, the worse the accident usually is.
Whenever you’re involved in one of these accidents and get hurt, it’s important to do the following to protect your health and legal rights:
- Get to safety and assess your injuries
- Call the police to report the accident
- Get insurance details about the driver and vehicle
- Document the accident scene and gather contact information from any witnesses
Skilled Legal Help for Victims of Pedestrian Accidents in Louisville
If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a pedestrian accident in Louisville, you can count on Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC for skilled legal support during this challenging time.
Our team of pedestrian accident lawyers is well-aware of the profound impact such incidents can have on you and your family. We can explain your options and what the process is for recovering damages, including things like:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of companionship
- Emotional anguish
- Physical pain and suffering
Don’t wait to get that help you need. Contact us today to set up a free, no-obligation consultation.