While we appreciate hunting, there are unsafe hunters out there and tragic accidents which occur.
If you or a loved one has been accidentally shot by someone hunting, you may be able to file an injury claim with the shooter’s homeowners’ insurance. You can’t always expect for them to compensate you fairly though, or even accept the claim. There are many caveats to these types of cases.
Contact us at Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC for a free consultation after any shooting. We’ll listen to your story, then provide you with your legal options.
Ways That Kentucky Hunting Accidents Occur
In Kentucky, hunters are expected to exercise a reasonable duty of care when engaged in this particular form of recreation. When guns are involved, safety should always be key. However, tragic and life-altering accidents happen involving hunters every year throughout the state of Kentucky. The following scenarios describe certain types of hunting accidents that are reported yearly:
- Accidents that occur when a careless hunter shoots without taking time to identify their target, leading to an accident with another person
- Parents failing to properly supervise their child on a hunting trip, leading to a gun-related accident
- Lack of control, causing to an accidental discharge or accidentally shooting a stray shot into the woods
- Accidents at a firing range due to lack of supervision in customers
The circumstances that led to your particular accident can help determine who is at fault for the accident and how you will financially recover after you have been injured.
Injuries Present in Hunting-Related Accidents
There are some types of injuries that are more common than others in the event of a hunting accident. These include some of the following:
- Upper extremity injuries
- Lower extremity injuries
- Injuries to the torso and stomach
- Damaged eyes, ears, and other facial-related injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Injuries to the hands
In the worst cases, a hunting accident can lead to another person losing their life. This is why safety is always key when hunting in Kentucky, remembering that there are others who share the woods with you.
Filing a Lawsuit After a Hunting Accident
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a hunting accident, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit or a wrongful death case to claim financial recovery for a variety of damages. There are multiple parties who could be named in a lawsuit, from a hunter to a parent of a child that was being supervised, to a manufacturer of a firearm. In the event of a lawsuit, the defendant’s behavior leading up to the accident, their overall experience as a hunter, and what they did in response to the accident will be considered.
Although the shooter’s homeowner’s insurance may offer you or your family a settlement after an accident, insurance may not cover everything. If you believe that you are getting much less than you deserve in financial support, you may need to file a lawsuit to receive the recovery that you need to get back on your feet. Some damages that you may be eligible for include the following:
- Medical expenses that you incur throughout your lifetime caused by your injuries
- Lost income due to missing out on time in the workplace
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death damages when a loved one has lost their life
How Hiring a Kentucky Hunting Accident Lawyer Can Benefit You
Though a victim is able to file a personal injury lawsuit or wrongful death claim without an attorney, it can be incredibly beneficial to have a knowledgeable lawyer on your side. Hunting accident claims can be complex, especially in states where hunting is a favorite form of recreation such as Kentucky. You want to be taken seriously and receive the financial support that you and your family need during these difficult times. A lawyer can help you with the following after an accident:
- Hunting Law Knowledge: At Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC, we understand the ins and outs of state laws and regulations concerning Kentucky hunting accidents. This means that we will be able to help you easily navigate the legal system after one of these life-altering accidents, as well as gain a better understanding of what rights you have along the way.
- Experience Handling Hunting Cases: We understand how prevalent these accidents are and what causes them to occur, including a lack of safety protocols and mishandling of equipment. We believe that hunting is a great way to enjoy a day and yet also understand that it should be done as safely as possible to avoid serious injury or death.
- Negotiation Experience: We will help you stand up to the insurance companies so that you can maximize the compensation that you receive in your settlement or lawsuit. You do not want to be taken advantage of by an insurance company, which is why we are here for you.
Contact a Kentucky Hunting Accident Lawyer Today
You deserve protection in the event of a hunting accident, especially when you are dealing with the pain of injuries or the loss of a loved one. These accidents can be devastating, which is why at Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC, we take your claim seriously.
Our Kentucky hunting accident lawyers will help you financially recover as you focus on your recovery and grief during this devastating and tragic time in your life. If you have questions regarding your claim, please contact us today for a no-obligation case review so that you can get started immediately.