Runners in Kentucky should be able to enjoy one of their favorite activities without the concern over accidents. However, runners are injured every year due to drivers, other runners, and more. Dog bite injuries are another major concern for runners, who may come into contact with a dog while running anywhere in Kentucky. Bites and attacks can cause immense harm to those involved in these accidents.
At Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC, our team of Kentucky pedestrian accident lawyers are here to guide you after a running accident caused by a negligent party. We understand just how devastating and overwhelming it can be to face a pedestrian accident and will handle your claim from start to finish. We will support you through this process and guide you on your legal options. Contact us today for a free consultation and more information on what we can do for you.
Holding a Dog Owner Responsible After a Dog Bite Attack on a Run
When you are on a run, you expect to get to your destination as safely as possible. You watch out for cars and other hazards but you never expect or plan for a dog bite attack. Unfortunately, this is the reality that many Kentucky runners face each year, causing severe injuries to those involved.
After a dog bite injury, you may be able to hold a dog owner responsible for the harm that you have suffered. These types of cases fall under Kentucky’s “strict liability” laws, which means that dog owners are responsible for the bites that their dogs cause others. This is true even if the dog has no prior history of being involved in an attack. However, if you want to be successful in a claim against a property owner, you will have to show that the following is true:
- You, as a runner, were not trespassing at the time of the attack.
- You did not provoke the dog into biting you.
- You must have suffered an actual dog bite.
With the help of a lawyer, you can collect evidence against a dog owner and investigate your claim in full so that an owner can be held responsible for the harm that they have caused you.
If You Are Knocked Down by a Dog While Running
If a dog knocks you down while you are running in Kentucky, this is a separate type of claim from a dog bite injury claim. If you have suffered injuries due to being knocked down by a dog, you could still be eligible to file a claim and receive financial support for your damages.
To be successful in one of these claims, there will be a higher burden of proof. This means that you will have to show stronger evidence that your injuries were caused by a dog jumping up at you, causing you to fall or run in front of a vehicle. With no injuries caused by a dog bite present, this is not always easy to do on your own. Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC, can help you collect useful evidence that can show fault in a dog owner or another party.
Damages Available to Runners After a Kentucky Dog Bite Attack
As you focus on your physical recovery after a dog bite, you may be concerned about the many bills that continue to pile up against you. With the help of a legal advocate, you can file a claim and successfully gain financial support for a wide array of damages. Some of these damages include the following:
- Medical Expenses: Medical expenses can pile up over the years, from surgery costs to hospital visits and prescription costs. With these damages, you no longer need to worry about these bills that you cannot afford on your own.
- Lost Income: Dog bite injuries can be so severe that they keep you out of work for an extended period of time. Lost income and future lost earning damages can help you stay on your feet as you miss out on financial opportunities at work.
- Pain and Suffering: Dog bite injuries can cause more than physical pain. You may also suffer from emotional distress due to the bite, which means that pain and suffering damages can serve a great purpose.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages may be available if a dog owner acted especially careless or recklessly. These damages are meant to punish an owner so that fewer accidents like this take place in the future.
- Wrongful Death Damages: Wrongful death damages may be available to families who have lost a loved one due to an unexpected dog attack.
It can be difficult to deal with the insurance company after you have suffered losses due to a dog bite injury. The insurance company will do whatever they can to offer you as little as possible in financial damages. Luckily, with the assistance of a lawyer, you will have experience with negotiation skills on your side. The insurance company will have to pay and ensure that you are treated fairly in your claim.
Contact a Kentucky Runner Injury Lawyer for Support Today
It can be emotionally and physically damaging to deal with a Kentucky dog bite incident as a runner. Suddenly, you are left with injuries that keep you from your favorite activities and keep you out of work, which can affect you financially as well. You should never have to face one of these challenging situations completely alone.
Our Kentucky runner injury lawyers at Kaufman & Stigger, PLLC will aggressively fight to defend you as our client, making sure that you obtain the best settlement possible. We will ensure that your settlement or verdict can help you get back on your feet after you have suffered from such a traumatic event. If you or someone you love has been hurt in a running accident, contact us today for a completely free legal consultation.